Chicago Cutting Die was founded on April 7, 1923 by two Swedish immigrant blacksmiths, William and Frank Anderson. The company began manufacturing dies for the apparel, shoe, envelope, and label industries. In 1929, CCD diversified into the manufacturing and development of other products – the first upright handle grass shears and the first spray paint gun for automobiles.
In 1936, CCD became Uniroyal's main cutting die supplier for Keds gym shoes. Three years later, a division called Anderson & Quigley was added to machine stamped metal parts and airplane brakes for Bendix Corporation in South Bend, Ind. In 1968, CCD became the first company to machine rotary dies using NC milling. In 1977, CCD began machining rotary dies with CNC milling.
Over the years, CCD has grown with the manufacturing of specialty rotary dies, equipment for the non-woven and medical industries, rotary die presses, and ancillary equipment for the disposable, packaging, and other diversified industries. Today, CCD is one of the world's largest cutting die manufacturers, owned and operated by descendants of Frank Anderson.