A History of Progress
Chicago Cutting Die was founded on April 7, 1923, by two Swedish immigrant blacksmiths, William and Frank Anderson. The company began manufacturing dies for the apparel, shoe, envelope and label industries. In 1929, CCD diversified into the manufacturing and development of other products – the first upright handle grass shears and the first spray paint gun for automobiles.
In 1936, CCD became Uniroyal's main cutting die supplier for Keds gym shoes. Three years later, a division called Anderson & Quigley was added to machine stamped metal parts and airplane brakes for Bendix Corporation in South Bend, Ind. In 1968, CCD became the first company to machine rotary dies using NC milling techniques. And 1977 saw another first for CCD, as it established the first by machining rotary dies with the CNC milling technique.
Over the years, CCD has grown with the manufacturing of specialty rotary dies, equipment for the non-woven and medical industries, rotary die presses and ancillary equipment for the disposable, packaging and other diversified industries. Today, CCD is one of the world's largest cutting die manufacturers, owned and operated by Jim and Lyle Archer, the grandsons of Frank Anderson.
Take a Virtual Tour of our factory.